Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Red bugs, an affair over Roselle

 (Update: Common name: red cotton bug,
Sci name: Dysdercus cingulatus. Thanks Andrea)

They came and hovered around roselle in Putrajaya. And now they are here too in Tanah Merah, making roselle their homes.  The timing is almost identical. They waited until roselle is downhill on age., when the first set of leaves is about to dry and die... I have seen similar red bugs over in Rosiah's garden playing with roselle too. When we were young the red bugs were everywhere, as we picked kekabu (Ceiba pentandra), our local cotton.

I am tracing what seemed to be a woman's world. 
She just dragged along the poor lover.

Red Bugs, they are on top of the world, the leaf is aging.

Red bugs: they are coming down

red bugs: woman's world!

Red Bugs: Oh, the bend.

Red Bugs: heading towards roselle.

Red Bugs: hold on

Red Bugs: lover's legs dangling.

Red Bugs: almost there.

  Both must be very thirsty,
a sip of roselle juice will do just fine......



bangchik and kakdah
Tanah Merah, Kelantan

9 comments:

  1. Wow, nice photos, especially the first one! I've never seen any "red bugs" before my entire life, what a shame!

    Your blog is very informative, I'm glad I found it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loverly captures. They surely deserve a sip of the juice after all that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen them in my garden too! Nice set of pictures!
    Refreshing roselle juice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha- we play with them as children. They seem to be always attached to each other, we seldom see them alone. We call them 'baka-bakahan', meaning cow mimic. I dont know how it evolved, as they dont seem to be like cows at all. Common name: red cotton bug, Sci name: Dysdercus cingulatus

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now you got me worry about my false roselle though the bug is quite attractive ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see it favourite colour is red like her dress. Apa nama serangga ni Bangchik?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see the red bugs today on my pumpkin flowers but never yet on my roselles! You are a very patient man when taking this photos and they are hardly disbturbed by your presence!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ....Lit Boon, TU
    If you do gardening, and look at plants everyday, you see bugs, black, red, white etc...

    ....Keats The Sunshine Girl
    Yeap.. they are tired with tug of war game.

    ....Malar
    Roselle juice is like tea break.

    ....Andrea
    You do repeat words.., we do have repetitive words too like "buah buahan" for fruits.... Thanks for the info on their name..

    ReplyDelete
  9. ~Stephanie
    Be careful, they will lay eggs, and it wont be long before you see hundreds of red babies...

    ~Perempuan Melayu Kadazan
    Fashion designers should see these red bugs. Andrea had given their name: Common name: red cotton bug, Sci name: Dysdercus cingulatus. In younger days, Mum said kumbang kekabu.

    ~p3chandan
    They were too engrossed with the affair, that they didn't even bother about my presence...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...