Sunday, June 7, 2009

Roadside weeds caught my eyes.

These blooms caught my attention as we travelled back from Gerik to Putrajaya. I stopped the car and snapped these. Kakdah just sat and looked. Not that she wasnt interested, it was fairly hot.....

They are nice looking and sweet in their own right.... And somehow, weeds which grow wild has no indication of being disturbed by insects and pests. Possibly insects has so many to choose, whereas in our little garden, they dont have much choice, so must so, the gardeners and insects are chasing after the same thing, The Veggies.



blue




combination
of white, yellow and orange color


Update
[Sunday, 7th June, 8.03 pm]
I just googled "lantanas".
Wow, the array of colors, and its combination for lantanas.
Those growing wild here has simple bloom,
and the color is either yellow-heavy or orange-heavy...
Thanks to islandgardener, Kim and Victoria , gardenerprogress/Catherine ,
and catmint for suggesting
Lantana

as its name.

update ~ 22Jan2010
and through blotanical,
i got the name of the blue ones as suggested by  My Favorite Weed ,
blue potterweed or (Stachytarpheta urticifolia)


15 comments:

  1. I don't recognize the blue one, but I am so partial to blue flowers. The other one I recognize as lantana and it's regularly sold in nurseries here for planters and gardens. I am not sure if it grown as an annual or a tender perennial. Jant

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, the second one is certainly lantana. The first looks like a tropical catmint or something. Great looking "weeds".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just bought lantana for our garden, it's an annual for us. I agree that they are pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. > Joanne
    Thanks... yes, the blue flowers really small but pretty

    ~ bangchik

    ReplyDelete
  5. > Islangardener

    That blue flowers are neat. The other one which you suggested as Lantana, can really grow wild. Its quite a normal sight at the roadside and at the edge of plantations here in Malaysia. The leaves have a very distinct smell when crushed or rubbed... Cheers!!

    ~ bangchik

    ReplyDelete
  6. > Kim and Victoria

    Thanks.. Lantana, what a nice name for a nice looking "weeds"... I like the flowers.
    ~ bangchik

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi B and k, I found this post very interesting. It's a pity we have to compete with wildlife and insects in our gardens - although I guess that perfect harmony is the story of the garden of Eden! The first plant is pretty, and I love the bright blue. The second, lantana, is a really terrible weed here in Australia, as are other escaped garden plants. Cheers, catmint

    ReplyDelete
  8. > gardenerprogress/Catherine

    Soon we can see updates of your lantanas.... I dont realise lantana is annual... it keeps growing into a little bush. The blooms are nice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. > catmint

    So lantanas become very invasive in your place... Thats interesting, because over here lantanas spread is manageable. Not many seem to like it and plant in gardens...

    Cheers!
    ~ bangchik

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi bangchik, I am a little slow on the commenting, love the blue flower! We have Lantana here as an ornamental flower, both annuals and perennial.

    ReplyDelete
  11. > janet
    When I was young, the blue flowered plants were really growing wild... Mom would love to do some weeding... Of course we were asked to offer extra hands... I may consider domesticating the plants..

    ~ bangchik

    ReplyDelete
  12. > Jo...

    Thanks Jo for the drop and comment... both has their own speciality. The blue one thrives in a wetter environment... Lantanas are pretty hardy.

    Cheers!
    ~ bangchik

    ReplyDelete
  13. Do you have certain kinds of butterflies that like the lantana? I grow it as an annual here in Nebraska, U.S. They don't even come back from seed here that I'm aware of. I grow them for the butterflies. I'm thinking any butterflies we have like it. I remember the swallowtails and American painted ladies feeding on the nectar.

    ReplyDelete
  14. > Sue

    I thought I saw one or two butterflies hovering around as I was looking for angle to shoot. It was some kind of brown butterflies.. dont know the name.

    ~ bangchik

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...